I am a spouse of an overseas Korean . Can I raise children in Korea ev…

• 최고관리자 (121.♡.204.119)
  • 03-08

I am a spouse of an overseas Korean Can I raise children in Korea even if I get divorced ?

Recently, Mr. L, the spouse of an overseas Korean (F-1-9, living together on a visit ) , requested consultation .

Ms. L entered the country with her husband (F-4) in March 2019 , and gave birth to and is raising a child in Korea the following year, in 2020 . However, as she and her husband continued to fight a few months ago, she began to think about divorce , and L decided to raise her child if they divorced .

In this situation, Mr. L wanted to raise his child in Korea after divorce , and asked if this was possible . I thought, ' Since the child was born in Korea and the father of the child is also in Korea , there would be a way for me to stay there and raise the child . '

However, unfortunately , in Ms. L' s case , if she divorces her husband, she loses the basis for the visitation and cohabitation status granted to her overseas Korean spouse , so it will no longer be possible to extend the permitted period when it expires . The child was also born in Korea, but since she was not born as a Korean child , Ms. L cannot stay in the country to raise her child, who is a foreigner .

Accordingly, after providing information on the above , if Mr. L wants to continue to stay in Korea while raising his child after divorce, he must change his status to another residence status such as language training or study abroad , and if the father raises the child, the child will continue to apply for a visitation/cohabitation visa. We have informed you that you can stay in .

<Reference>

Often times, “ If you give birth to a child in Korea , isn’t the child’s nationality Korean ? We receive inquiries such as “ However, when it comes to acquiring nationality by birth , Korea stipulates that one must have a Korean citizen at the time of birth to obtain Korean nationality . I hope there is no confusion .

• Nationality Act Article ( Acquisition of nationality by birth )

① A person who falls under any of the following items acquires Korean nationality at birth .

1. A person whose father or mother is a citizen of the Republic of Korea at the time of birth

2. If the father died before birth, the father was a citizen of the Republic of Korea at the time of death.

3. If both parents are unclear or have no nationality, the person was born in the Republic of Korea.

자동등록방지 숫자를 순서대로 입력하세요.